Remarkably, the U.S.S. Sequoia – the Presidential Yacht – is still available for charter.
Built in 1925 by Trumpy Yachts, it is one of the most famous yachts in American history. At 104 feet, the yacht is a Gilded Age classic, simple but well appointed and magnificent for its time.
The vessel is a National Historic Landmark, and amazingly, is available for private charter. However, the yacht is still used by both the president and vice president. Charters are only accepted when the yacht is not in official use.
Naturally, there are many interesting facts associated with U.S.S Sequoia Presidential Yacht:
- It was during Prohibition for decoy duties to entrap bootleggers
- Herbert Hoover sailed from Washington to Florida to visit his mother
- The yacht still has the original deck chairs used by Franklin Roosevelt and Winston Churchill
- John F. Kennedy opened his last birthday gifts aboard the boat (46th birthday)
- Lyndon B. Johnson had Roosevelt’s elevator replaced with a bar
- Richard Nixon played piano and sang “God Bless America” while contemplating his resignation from office
Like the Royal Yacht of Britain, there is beauty, grandeur and a certain mystique associated with this yacht. Power and history are evident in its detailing. And the yacht carries a presence.
Are the yachts of today built to these same standards?